On Göttingen Campus, both the Göttingen State and University Library (SUB) and the Computing and IT Competence Center (GWDG) provide the backbone to a well prepared campus IT and information infrastructure and offer an exceptional support for research and research-centred teaching. Campus laboratories will form a model for sustainable shared usage of large-scale experimental facilities and technical structures as well foster the expertise of method development.
With the Göttingen State and University Library (SUB) and the Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen (GWDG), Göttingen’s IT competence centre for scientific data processing, the Göttingen Campus offers especially good conditions for research, research-oriented teaching and the further training of students. Going back as as far 1970, the GWDG has been the only computing centre nationwide to be jointly run and owned by a university and the Max Planck Society. With the assistance of the Land of Lower Saxony, the University and University Medical Center and the Max Planck Society will be building a new computing centre in Göttingen over the coming three years. For all Faculties, the SUB and GWDG form the nucleus of an optimally prepared IT and information infrastructure, which the Göttingen Campus will use to integrate the competences of all partners successively.
The Campus Partners have already been working together over a considerable period to build up cross-institutional project-related research infrastructures. We are creating a reliable and sustainable framework for these infrastructures in order to raise efficiency and efficacy in operating laboratories on campus. Campus laboratories, which promote and optimise the joint use of large apparatus and technical structures and the associated expertise and methods, serve as a model for this purpose.
Göttingen - Information infrastructures location
As a fundamental requirement for sustainable science, information infrastructures are an integral part of the overall strategy for the University of Göttingen and the Göttingen Campus. Activities in Göttingen in this area have structural and substantial effects both nationally and internationally.
We support science locally, in Germany and worldwide through
- the development and operation of infrastructures for e-research
- focused inter-institutional co-operation for the implementation of e-research projects in digital infrastructures and the co-ordination of IT and information infrastructures on the Göttingen Campus
- the co-operative development of a Germany-wide service infrastructure for the acquisition, licensing and provision of electronic resources
- the co-ordination of large-scale joint projects for the development of research infrastructures in the humanities and cultural studies in Germany
- the trans-disciplinary and inter-institutional promotion of the development of information infrastructures in education and science in Germany
- the syndicate establishment of Open Access research infrastructures networking throughout Europe and worldwide