Mental health support
Everyone needs support some time. There are many different types of support and ways to access this support. We hope the links below will show you what is available. Please tell us if you have updates and improvements. You may find this guide helpful, especially if you are new to Germany: A guide to psychotherapy in Germany: where can I find help?
SUPPORT FOR EMPLOYEES - UNIVERSITY OF GÖTTINGEN
- Psychotherapy at the UMG Klinik für Psychosomatische Medizine and Psychotherapie
- Counselling at the PSB (Psychosoziale Beratungsstelle für Studierende) – supports Postdocs
- Addiction prevention and help at Betriebliche Suchtprävention und Suchthilfe in the University
SUPPORT FOR STUDENTS – UNIVERSITY OF GÖTTINGEN
- Psychotherapy Outpatient clinics for students – Psychotherapeutischen Ambulanz für Studierende (PAS)
- The Welcome Centre of the University of Göttingen has lists of therapists and medical specialists who speak English and other languages, for information email here
- Many services will be accessed via your General Practitioner (GP or Family Doctor) and it is recommended that you sign up with a GP early on. More advice is here under Doctors in Göttingen.
SUPPORT FOR STAFF AT THE MPI BIOPHYSICAL CHEMISTRY
- Corporate Health Management (Betriebliches Gesundheits Management) – email here
FURTHER SUPPORT AVAILABLE IN GÖTTINGEN
- Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the UMG Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie and information about their outpatient clinics and emergencies – 0551-39 8605 (24h).
- Psychiatric Clinic (Asklepios) – offers a wide range of inpatient, day care and outpatient psychiatric treatments for adults – Asklepios Fachklinikum Göttingen
- Self-help groups and support – KIBIS (Kontakt-, Informations- und Beratungsstelle im Selbsthilfebereich), database for self-help groups and KIBIS Health Centre in Gottingen – 0551 486766
- Counselling (and a range of other support) for children, young people and parents - AWO (Arbeiterwohlfahrt) – an umbrella organisation of voluntary helpers
- Support and Counselling – offered by Shelter e.V.
- Counselling for Women and a range of other support at Therapeutische Frauenberatung
- Psychological counselling offered by Diakonieverband Göttingen (Protestant Church)
- Life and Conflict counselling offered by the Catholic University Community
- Marriage, Family and Life Counselling – offered by the Diocese of Hildesheim (Catholic Church)
- In German – TelefonSeelsorge – 0800 111 0 111 or 0800 111 0222 (no charge) telephone advice as well as online services in the German language.
- Other countries offer helplines in different languages (note that charges apply) – the list is here.
- In English – a number of countries offer helplines in English but note that telephone charges apply, eg the Samaritans in the UK - +44 116 123 or Lifeline in Australia – 13 11 14
- Muslim telephone advice service – Muslimisches Seelsorgetelefon (German, Turkish, Arabic, Urdu available) - 030 443509821
SUPPORT SERVICES AVAILABLE IN HANNOVER
- Psychiatric and Psychotherapy at Sozialpsychiatrische Poliklinik Hannover
- Emergency Psychiatric Help in Hannover – Psychosozialer / Psychiatrischer Krisendienst (PPKD)